MAUSOLEUM OF EMPEROR JEHANGIR
The tomb of the fourth great Mughal Emperor, Jehangir, lies 5 km north-west of Lahore across the River Ravi. It has a majestic structure made of red sand-stone and marble. The outer entrance to the tomb opens out into a court-yard which was used as a caravan Serai during Mughal times. An entrance to the right leads into a Mughal garden with exact geometrical patterns balancing each side.
The marble tomb is approached from four corridors leading from the garden. Three of these corridors are closed by intricate marble screens.
The marble grave is elaborately inlaid with floral designs and the 99 Attributes of Allah are inscribed on its two sides. On the top is a verse from the Holy Quran.
The tomb was built by Queen Noor Jehan and the Emperor’s son Shah-Jehan, around 1637 A.D.